Monday, October 4, 2010

Escaping Flatland

So interesting, the first thing that came to my mind as I read this chapter was my flamboyant gym instructor Alfred. He uses excellent oldies music in his class and yet everyone including the teenagers enjoy it and respond positively. I see a similarity with what Tufte is trying to explain, by demonstrating old maps and charts. Time doesn't matter if it's done well. Presenting design or music in ways that make sense to others. 


I've learned that by following core design rules and adding density you can escape the flatland. Present dense information in a clear way. Points that stuck with me...clutter is a failure of design. I sometimes have the tendency to clutter...I will be careful. Repeated graphics displaying variations, or small multiples are good. 


I'm sure going to try and implement what I've learned in my next project.

2 comments:

  1. well your thoughts gave me some clearity of the reading. I will go back and try to see your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the obstacles of information design is that its clear and simple, yet when our eyes see this we tend to think its to simple and not finish so we start adding chartjunk. Man so simple yet so hard to master.

    ReplyDelete