Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Micro/Macro Readings — Tufte really?

I am guessing Tufte does not suffer from attention deficiency. Who actually has the patience to explain about dense design? He is amazing. His whole concept is contradictory but it works: show as much data with as little decoration as possible. He talks about keeping it simple with a lot of accuracy. 
 
How can I let the data speak for itself?  
As a designer the photographer and I always struggle with the writers to get each 1/3 of the page. We often request shorter text. Tufte would probably disagree.

I understand that as a designer I should be able to show the overview of the project and then add details to clarify. I will also remind myself that clutter and confusion are failures of design, not attributes of information. 


2 comments:

  1. so far everyone seems to speak highly of tufte's work, execept me. I still think the book has ADD. Im starting to think its me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think Tufte strays a lot from the bigger concepts too.

    ReplyDelete